Tuesday, May 14, 2013

NUC Texas Feature – Trae Hart

NUC Texas Feature – Trae Hart

NUC Texas Feature – Trae Hart

Courtesy: EJ Holland/ National Underclassmen
          Release: May 14, 2013
Send this article to a friend Print RSS
When looking at statistics from Trae Hart's junior campaign, people often have to do a double take. And it's hard to blame them.
After all, the Dallas First Baptist wide receiver put up video game-like numbers and was one of the top receivers in the nation with 108 receptions for 2,044 yards and 29 touchdowns.
But not even those gaudy stats were enough to garner major FBS offers. Smaller schools like SMU and Rice extended junior day invites and showed moderate interest. But Hart knew he deserved more than just a few letters.
So just as he did as a sophomore, Hart spent the last few months going to as many camps as possible in order to gain more exposure in pursuit of his first offer.
"Going to camps like the NUC helped me go against the best out there," he said. "It was fun, and it helped me to see all the great competition there is out there and get better."
Now, Hart is a proud Purdue commit. Just a few weeks ago, the Big 10 program watched him at practice and extended a scholarship soon after. Hart accepted on the spot.
"I talked to Coach (John) Shoop, and he just seemed like a great guy. He's coached a bunch of great receivers like Randy Moss," Hart said. "I talked it over with my mom and dad, and I told them I needed to do this. It's in the Big 10 and a great opportunity for me so I decided to verbally commit."
Hart says his commitment is solid but would be open if others schools get in the mix. And with his skillset, there is no doubt he'll pick up a few more offers before it's all said and done.
He proved this on Monday afternoon when Dallas First Baptist held a joint practice with Bishop Dunne. For most of the afternoon, Nick Watkins, who is considered one of the top cornerbacks in the nation, covered Hart.
But he more than held his own and even scored on Watkins a few times. Throughout the day, the 5-foot-11, 160-pounder showed off his great hands, tremendous speed and an ability to find soft spots in the defense.
"It was great to be out here competing with him. I felt like I did well and ran good routes and everything," he said. "I'm just working on getting better and doing everything I can to do it."
With spring ball in full swing and a decision out of the way, Hart is now focused on helping his team win a state title after falling just short a season ago.
"I want to have a better year than my junior year," he said. "And bring home a championship."

No comments: